Sonoma Raceway Food Banks
· Sonoma Raceway Distributes More Than
· 4,600 Pounds of Food to Area Food Banks
· Donations Benefit FISH and Valley Fire Victims
· SONOMA, Calif. (Nov. 23, 2015) – Sonoma Raceway is at full speed this holiday season, distributing more than 4,600 pounds of non-perishable food to Friends in Sonoma Helping (FISH) and victims of the Valley Fire in Lake County through the Redwood Empire Food Bank (REFB) following the raceway's 15th annual Thanksgiving Food Drive.
· This year’s 4,600 pound donation translates to more than 2,800 meals for local residents in need, and brings the raceway’s 15 year total to more than 66,309 pounds of non-perishable food items for area food banks. In addition, the raceway also collected more than $1,285 in cash donations for FISH.
· “This donation is easily half of the food we give out in our Christmas baskets, which will go to 500 families this year,” said longtime FISH Food Room volunteer, Louise Biefelt. “They buy some eggs and some produce and I think they’re giving gift cards this year, but this helps tremendously.”
· Sonoma Raceway was not alone in its efforts. It was joined in the food drive by RKA Motorcycle Luggage in Windsor, Innerstave, Levy Restaurants, the National Auto Sport Association, Pedroncelli Motorsports/Pedroncelli Mobile Bottling LLC, Save Mart Supermarkets, Angelo's Wine Country Deli, Carneros Deli, two Sonoma 76 Gas Stations, Sonoma Market and Glen Ellen Village Market. Verihealth Inc. and Sonoma Gourmet also made generous donations of food items.
· FISH (www.friendsinsonomahelping.org) has been helping Sonoma Valley residents in need since 1970 and provides not only food, but clothing, transportation and emergency rental assistance.
· The Redwood Empire food Bank currently assists over 82,000 Sonoma County residents every month, providing food to low-income children, seniors, and working families. In conjunction with the Red Cross of California Northwest, one of the primary response groups for the Valley Fire, the REFB was designated as the donation recipient of non-perishable food items. In an effort to streamline responses, the REFB collects all food donations, serving as the clearinghouse for organizations and agencies that are on the ground serving individuals displaced by the fire.
· "We are tremendously grateful for Sonoma Raceway's continued support to end hunger. It is the work of a generous community that allows us to help our neighbors in need," said Dalton Wiley, community and events coordinator of the Redwood Empire Food Bank. "We offer our deepest gratitude to each and every person who is helping us provide food for the hungry."
For more information about Sonoma Raceway community events, call
800-870-RACE (7223) or visit RaceSonoma.com.
Gundlach-Bundschu Winery and its guests will again support the Toy Drive at the winery’s HolidayPalooza on Saturday, Dec. 5. Bring a new, unwrapped toy to the tasting room for a complimentary tasting and special treats. The public is encouraged to attend from 11 a.m.-2:30p.m. For more information, visit gunbun.com/calendar.